The proposal was submitted under the Victorian Government’s Market-led Proposal Guidelines in May this year.
Transdev spokesperson Kathy Lazanas said while the company was disappointed by the decision, it would continue to look for opportunities to work with the Victorian government, and others across Australia and New Zealand to deliver improved public transport services for customers.
“We firmly believe new solutions like bus rapid transit, or ‘rubber-tyred railways’ as they were described by one commentator recently, are cost effective and attractive, and will be a part of the future transport mix in a number of our cities,” Ms. Lazanas said.
“As our cities continue to grow at rapid rates we will need to be creative in our approach to delivering transport solutions that optimise our land use, while providing long term sustainable solutions.”
About Transdev Australasia
- As an operator and global integrator of mobility, Transdev gives people the freedom to move wherever and however they choose.
- Transdev is proud to move 11 million people around the world every day thanks to efficient, easy to use and environmentally-friendly transportation services that connect people and communities.
- Locally, Transdev is the largest provider of multi-modal public transport, operating services across Australia and New Zealand since 1998.
- Our team of 5,800 employees move 150 million people a year across our seven modes – heavy rail, light rail, bus, coach, ferry, on demand and soon autonomous shuttles – in Armidale, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Auckland and Wellington.
- Our approach is rooted in long-term partnerships with businesses and public authorities, and in the relentless pursuit of the safest and most innovative mobility solutions.
- At Transdev, we are Journey Makers. We believe public transport plays an important part in how a city comes to life. Our day-today work influences our families, friends and future generations where they live, work and play.
- As Journey Makers, our role is to exceed the expectations of the communities we serve and to contribute to liveability and the sustainable development of our cities.
- We are a team of people serving people, and mobility is what we do.