The Multi-Country Barometer was a qualitative market research project conducted across five countries – the United States, Canada, Sweden, Australia and New Zealand.
The survey asked key public transport decision makers about the trends, challenges and opportunities shaping the sector for the next three years.
The 2018 Transdev Multi-Country Barometer Survey makes it very clear – the future is not about focusing on a single mode of public transport, it is all about giving people the freedom to move whenever and however they choose.
Explorer today's challenges for tomorrow's mobilityDownload the report
Giving people the freedom to move - key insights
The 2018 Barometer focused on four key themes of customer experience, modal integration, Mobility as a Service (MaaS) and emerging mobility options.
For Australia and New Zealand, the 2018 Barometer identified that over the next three years, public transport leaders:
- Primary challenge – is growing demand for public transport in our increasingly populous and congested cities.
- 1st priority – 87% are focused on improving the customer experience and see this as their most important goal for improving the system.
- 2nd priority – 87% plan to take action to improve modal integration and a high proportion of leaders (67%) are looking to provide seamless, end-to-end, customer journeys.
- 3rd priority – For the first time, we focused the 2018 Barometer to include significant attention to the new mobility space including Mobility as a Service (MaaS). Australasia is lagging behind the rest of the world, with interest in MaaS at only 48% (this compares with 72% in Sweden and 74% in the US).
- 4th priority – Looking to future trends, the research also identified a number of emerging mobility options, led by first and last-mile transport solutions and autonomous vehicles and shuttle systems. First and last-mile solutions are a major priority for 65% of Australian and New Zealand respondents within three years.
The findings of this research project are summarised in a report titled ‘Explorer – Today’s Challenges for Tomorrow’s Mobility’.
About Transdev Australasia
- As an operator and global integrator of mobility, Transdev gives people the freedom to move wherever and however they choose.
- Transdev is proud to move 11 million people around the world every day thanks to efficient, easy to use and environmentally-friendly transportation services that connect people and communities.
- Locally, Transdev is the largest provider of multi-modal public transport, operating services across Australia and New Zealand since 1998.
- Our team of 5,800 employees move 150 million people a year across our seven modes – heavy rail, light rail, bus, coach, ferry, on demand and soon autonomous shuttles – in Armidale, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney, Auckland and Wellington.
- Our approach is rooted in long-term partnerships with businesses and public authorities, and in the relentless pursuit of the safest and most innovative mobility solutions.
- At Transdev, we are Journey Makers. We believe public transport plays an important part in how a city comes to life. Our day-today work influences our families, friends and future generations where they live, work and play.
- As Journey Makers, our role is to exceed the expectations of the communities we serve and to contribute to liveability and the sustainable development of our cities.
- We are a team of people serving people, and mobility is what we do.